Rainbow add-on for Firefox records audio and video
The add-on generates files encoded in open formats: Theora for video, and Vorbis in an Ogg container for audio. The files are accessible from the DOM using HTML5 File APIs, where they can be uploaded to a server.
Mozilla have a few improvements to the add-on they intend to make in the near future:
- Support for Windows and Linux
- Allow live streaming of video feeds
- Implement a robust permissions mechanism
- Support WebM/VP8 video encoding as an alternative to Ogg/Theora
- Make Rainbow a restartless addon so users can get going instantly
The pre-alpha release of this add-on only works with Firefox nightly builds on a Mac, with support for Windows, Linux, and 64 bit platforms coming soon. Rainbow can be downloaded directly from the Add-ons for Firefox website, or from GitHub if you prefer.