Colombia-based media incubator Espacio announces the launch of of Brazil Reports, an up-and-coming English language news source for Brazil that is already syndicated on Google News and other platforms.
Our aim for the publication is to provide accurate, up-to-date and unbiased information about Brazil
With the next round of presidential elections approaching this October, Brazil is currently at a crucial political stage. Given the extent of political scandal in the country’s recent history, including the 2016 impeachment of former President Dilma Rousseff, along with the continued imprisonment of this year’s most popular presidential candidate Lula da Silva, the upcoming presidential vote is particularly important.
Reporting on the latest events in the country, Brazil Reports was first launched in May 2018 and is led by Sophie Foggin. Foggin has lived in England, Brazil and Colombia, and since moving back to South America has re-discovered her passion for telling the stories of this varied and fascinating continent.
“Our aim for the publication is to provide accurate, up-to-date and unbiased information about Brazil, a country whose rich culture, people and charms I have come to love,” Foggin said.
“As the only Portuguese-speaking nation in the South American continent, local news is often less accessible for English readers. We hope to be able to make this information available to as wide an international audience as possible, whilst at the same time conveying the diversity and uniqueness of Brazil.”
As Operation Car Wash corruption investigations near the end of their fourth year, recent unprecedented spikes in violence and the rumoured expansion of criminal gangs have thrown the issue of public security into the spotlight.
Meanwhile, in the face of its own ongoing economic turbulence, Brazil continues to receive hundreds of migrants per day from neighbouring country Venezuela, who are currently experiencing the worst migration crisis in modern Latin American history.
“Providing English news on the latest developments in Brazil has never been more important,” Foggin said.
Espacio’s launch of Brazil Reports is one of many that has enabled the media incubator to grow significantly over the last couple of years. Espacio is also the parent company of The Sociable.
Over the past year Espacio has launched and acquired several news publications including:
- Tech in DC, an online magazine covering innovation, policy, and economics.
- Mi Dinero, a publication in Spanish dedicated to covering cryptocurrencies, blockchain technologies, and the fintech world.
- AppleManía, covering Apple news for Latin America.
- CeroLag, a Spanish-language publication dedicated to the gaming community and everything that has to do with video games.
- The Bitcoin Mag, a magazine website reporting and commenting on the world of cryptocurrencies, blockchain and fintech.
- Novobrief, the English-language voice for Spain’s startup ecosystem.
- Hibiscus & Nomada, a travel blog with stunning photos.
- Peru Reports, Peru’s leading news publication in the English language.
- The Bogotá Post online, one of the most widely-read English newspapers in Colombia.
- En Serie, an online publication focused on keeping up with the latest films, series, and everything related to the exciting world of visual entertainment.
- Portugal Startups, a media publication in English dedicated to startup and entrepreneurial news in Portugal.
- The Tech Panda, a Bangalore-based media publication dedicated to startup and tech news in India.
- ActitudFem, a Spanish-language publication created by women, for women.
- Argentina Reports, aims to be the leading news publication in Argentina in English.
- DobleClic, a Spanish-language news publication covering the world of tech.